Monday, October 06, 2008

Cheese corner: Cypress Grove Lamb Chopper

On Saturday I picked up a wedge of Lamb Chopper cheese from Cypress Grove, maker of the cheese everyone seems to like, Humboldt Fog. They also make Purple Haze, a fresh goat cheese seasoned with lavendar that tastes delicious with sourdough crackers, and Truffle Tremor, which is similar to Humboldt Fog, but infused with truffle aromas.

I found Lamb Chopper pleasant and mild with a nutty flavor and a hint of sharpness, maybe from the sheep milk. However, I was disappointed to learn this cheese is made in Europe. I had thought this cheese was made in Northern California by Cypress Grove, not somewhere across the globe. Their website is also misleading, spouting blurbs about terrior and herds of goats in Arcata. Regardless, I made a pretty good melt using this cheese. I cut a whole wheat pita in half and added to each half: a handful of cherry tomatoes, a few tablespoons of kidney beans, two kalamata olives, a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, and some liberal shavings of Lamb Chopper. I let the cheese ooze and melt, then ate each pita half with a little Sriracha, and yes, for you mayonnaise-haters, a little bit of mayo. It was absolutely delicious, although I still feel a little scammed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wrote: "Their website is also misleading, spouting blurbs about terrior and herds of *goats* in Arcata.."
But Lamb Chopper is a sheep's milk cheese(?). How can goats in Arcata be seen as misleading in regards to a sheep's milk cheese?
A little investigation on the web site (one layer down) tells visitors that Lamb Chopper is made in Europe.
Check out the website at http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/cheeses/section_3.0.html#lamb_chopper
Sounds pretty yummy too. Thanks for sharing.

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for posting! The reason why I found the goats in Arcata comment misleading was that Cypress Grove, on their website, claims that their cheeses have a terrior (sense of place) to them. Some may argue that some cheeses, like wines, taste like a certain area based on the climate and conditions of a certain place. So I thought I was buying a cheese made in far Northern California, when in fact I was picking up a cheese made somewhere in Europe. My objection was that the company markets their cheeses as having a character particular to the Arcata/Humboldt area, but actually sells cheeses from outside of the area.

Best,
Christine