Sunday, October 19, 2008

Culinary disasters

Although I've had some successes, I've also had some culinary disasters. My failures generally center around baking--there were the rock-like biscuits I made when I lived in Queens, the "flatbread" from the vegetarian cookbook that didn't hold together like a bread, and the questionable desserts I turned out during my teenage years.

Today my attempt at making Spicy Tuna Don, a bowl of sushi rice covered with fresh tuna mixed with spicy sauce, fell flat. My first mistake was picking up tuna from the supermarket, since what was labeled as "fresh" tasted pretty fishy. The dish was doomed from the start. I tried to overcompensate by making a very spicy sauce with Sriracha, mayonnaise, and a bit of mustard, but the strong flavors failed to mask the fishy flavor and served instead to make a discordant mess. First I would taste the fishy flavor, then the overly sharp taste of Sriracha and an odd hint of mustard. The sushi rice and mixed greens on the side only made things worse, as the sauce completely overpowered the taste of these sides. Using lots of soy sauce didn't help. While I normally love Spicy Tuna Don and savor every bit of meaty, fragrant tuna, this time I threw the fishy chunks away. I gave up and melted some cheese over chips in the oven. Nachos never fail.

7 comments:

Hieu said...

You also tried to make bread once a long time ago in the bay area. Ba also remembered it being rock hard 'bread'.

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

I made a reference to that time when I made bread in the Bay Area.

Hieu said...

WaIT, was that flatbread???

Zander said...

does sound disastrous. makes me want to yak. i hope you didnt yak into your nachos.

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

Yes, it was the flatbread I made which was pretty gross. Also I did not "yak" into my nachoes.

Sarah said...

Um, that sounds gross. But it happens. And you wrote about it, which gives you points!!!

I hate it when I end up buying icky fish. :P

Laura Jade Yellow said...

spicy tuna don? were we friends in october? where was i??!