Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Whole Rip-Off

While the title of this post is somewhat inflammatory, Whole Foods has let me down. Some may smile knowingly upon reading this post, having maintained for years that Whole Foods charges too much. But this chain kept me captivated in New York with its salad bar and free samples of preservative-free hot dogs, just a fifteen minute walk from my apartment. Alas, the salad bar at the Westwood Whole Foods is of a humbler size, and there is no "raw food" section, nor psuedo-pad thai. But what really burst my bubble was the vegetarian burrito I ordered a couple of days ago. I have memories of many a delicious burrito from the Berkeley Whole Foods, with a whole-wheat tortilla, brown rice, jack cheese, perfectly chopped salsa, creamy guac, and hot sauce. Sometimes a few chips would be thrown in. While burrito purists might rail against this kind of burrito, I enjoyed it for the delicious combination of ingredients, and the suspicion it was healthier than a super chorizo burrito at Picante Cocina Mexicana.
Alas, the vegetarian burrito I bought this week, which cost around $6, was wrapped loosely (translation: it fell apart) in a regular tortilla (they were out of whole-wheat), with regular rice, black beans, cheddar cheese (inferior to Jack cheese in a burrito), mediocre guacamole, and very watery salsa. After consuming three-quarters of this unfortunate meal, I discarded the rest, vowing to go to the burrito stand a block away, where a chicken and guac burrito can be had for around $3. And for groceries, I probably won't be coming by anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One should also note that Whole Foods stock prices have risen dramatically over the last 10 years on this philosophy of over charging for semi/prepared foods. However, I am in agreement the whole foods in berkeley is delish! Still shop there myself.