Thursday, August 10, 2006

Hope for mangosteens

After reading an article in the New York Times, I am hopeful for mangosteens.

I tasted mangosteens just once, a few years ago in Saigon, where piles of mangosteens, looking like old, brown tomatoes, laid in crates at the fruit stands. The outer layer, tough and darkened, gave an unappealing look to the fruit, along with the flies that buzzed over them, but I wanted to know what they tasted like. I had tried many fruits during this trip that I enjoyed, like the dragonfruit that reminded me of kiwi, the creamy fruit called "Na" or apple-custard, and the little mangos that smelled like wood. My father bought a few mangosteens from a stand, and used a knife to cut the top of the mangosteen off, revealing the pale fruit inside. The taste was sour but sweet, almost like a mix of guava and tangerine and lychee. We had a few, and then they were gone. I didn't get a chance to eat them again in Vietnam, and haven't had them in the States. But the article in the Times whet my appetite, and with luck, I'll have a few this fall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mangosteens is fake mango. Like bad imitashun.

Anonymous said...

I disagree anonymous. Mangosteens are far superior to mangos and the most delicious of all tropical fruits. However american's beware there is "mangosteen" juice appearing in bottles and it is really gross and sandy. Two thumbs down.

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

Hmm..I will have to avoid that "mangosteen" juice. Thanks for the warning!

Anonymous said...

There is hope my friends. In Ann Arbor, MI of all places they sell frozen Mangosteens. I am so excited to try them. I will let you know. Of course they won't compare to the real deal, but they are still so much greater than mangosteens in syrup. Wish me luck! The Mangosteen revolution is coming!!!!

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

Dear Laur,

Please tell me how the mangosteens are in Ann Arbor.

Christine