Monday, August 21, 2006

Bread for breakfast

In the past weeks I've been eating bread for breakfast. While I go into cereal and oatmeal phases, I always come back to bread. It might be a way of conjuring up those Saturday mornings while I was a teenager, when I ate fresh baguettes from Acme Bakery with my family. We sat around the dining table and dipped our bread into the yellow yolk of a fried egg, or spread pate on it using a butter knife. My breakfast lately isn't as fancy, but it works. Some days I take a large piece of sourdough toast, cut it in half, and place it into the toaster until it is slightly burnt. I spread the toast with butter and eat it with my coffee as CNN plays in the background. Other mornings I take a "middle eastern flatbread" (a Trader Joe's specialty), cut it in half, and toast it. Once crispy, I add a couple slices of avocado and a few crumbles of feta. With my mug of coffee and the morning paper, it's not pate and Acme, but it's pretty good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More like gourmet gadzooks.