Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Stinky tofu

According to wikipedia, stinky tofu is made by marinating tofu with fermented (in essence, rotten) vegetables, is said to smell like sewage and taste like blue cheese, and was a favorite food of Mao Zedong--all in all, sounds pretty scary. While I love plain tofu and blue cheese, the idea of toilet-bowl smelling tofu doesn't appeal to me. But is it really that bad? People love to complain about the smell of fish sauce, kim chee and aged French cheese, three items that I enjoy. The durian is much reviled for its smell and taste, and while I don't crave it, I don't hate it either. What's your take on stinky tofu--eat it or leave it?

2 comments:

Zander said...

umm...would you like excrement-flavored sauce on your rice? it isn't excrement, only flavored similarly. the answer to your question is right there.

Anonymous said...

I second zanders comment. I mean durian is one thing. It is natural and doesn't smell like sewage. It just has it's own special aroma, but rotting veggie marinade sounds like a recipe for an upset stomach.

Yicky!