Monday, September 01, 2008

Brunch at the Green Onion

I love Sunday Brunch. Even if my laundry is piling up or if my to-do list of errands fills a whole page, brunch is relaxing and unhurried. I really enjoy sitting at a window or sidewalk with the newspaper, a cup of coffee, and some sort of unhealthy egg dish. In New York, brunch often occurs in the late hours of the afternoon with multi-course meals and zesty bloody Marys while in Lone Pine, CA, the Alabama Hills Cafe serves up early morning Eggs Benedict and coffee.

I enjoyed brunch yesterday at the Green Onion on Colley Street in Norfolk, VA. While seated on the sidewalk, I enjoyed refills of coffee and a wonderful breakfast sandwich. The english muffin was bigger and more bread-like than the standard Thomas's muffin, and was toasted on one side. Fluffy scrambled eggs, green onions, a runny beige cheese, and crispy strips of thick bacon topped the muffin. On the side sat three cherry tomatoes. If I had to come up with a criticism of my brunch, I would request more cherry tomatoes. Otherwise, I enjoyed the food, liked the modern decor, and will return to try one of the cheeses on their page-long list.

No comments: