Saturday, February 24, 2007

Musings on being critical and the truly excellent burger

I have adopted a more critical attitude towards food in the last few years. I can think of numerous instances where I sat down at a restaurant, replete with white tablecloth and sparkling cutlery, only to be disappointed with the food placed before me as well as the bill. I can also recall other instances when I approached a famous "dive", but left with food that didn't meet the hype. There have been too many simple items made poorly: over-dressed and wilted mixed salads, dry scrambled eggs, and soggy quesadillas.
I now seek to find a truly excellent burger, which satisfies the following criteria: rare (red and raw) on the inside, seasoned (so that I don't have to add salt, ketchup, or hot sauce), served with accompaniments that add rather than obscure the taste of the meat, and a bun that does not fall apart, nor taste like cardboard.
Next in this series: Burgers that do not fit this criteria.

No comments: