Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Fish sauce: the all-purpose condiment

Fish sauce doesn't have to be limited to seasoning Southeast Asian cuisine. A couple of weeks ago, I added fish sauce to marinara sauce on a whim. Although some might think the combination of fish and marinara sauce might taste repugnant, the result turned out delicious, as the fish sauce deepened the flavor of the tomatoes, making me resolve to use fish sauce everytime I make spaghetti. The next day, I didn't have spaghetti, but I did have a Caesar salad, to which I added fish sauce instead of anchovies. That tasted pretty good, as well. And, you might inquire, as to the following day? I think I went out for dinner. Regardless, fish sauce can season more than your pho and fried rice--it's proving to be a very versatile condiment.

No comments: