Friday, January 26, 2007

Mad for Shiitake

As some may have noticed in the past post or two, I am infatuated with shiitake mushrooms. Even though they are somewhat pricey, and sometimes out of stock at my preferred local market, their aromatic, woody taste and chewy texture makes everything I put them in a little more delicious. Plus, according to Wikipedia, they have been researched for their medicinal "benefits", although the lack of references there makes me dubious about this claim. Well, at least shiitake have more mystique than, say, "Cheez-its".
My preferred method of cooking shiitake has been by saute. Yesterday, I added them to frozen vegetables for a stir-fry, and the day before I put them in vegetarian Goi Cuon (Vietnamese spring rolls). I have been tempted to add them to pizza, place them in soup, and throw them in fried rice, but unfortunately, I have run out of shiitake.

No comments: