Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Breakfast tacos!

This morning, I glanced out my living room window to see a squirrel there. I wondered how the squirrel got there, since I live in a large apartment complex with just a few trees, right next to a major freeway. Does it frequent all the trees in my complex? What does it eat? It seems to be in a squirrel unfriendly habitat, given there are no forests nearby, and the closest park is across the freeway and down a block.

All these thoughts occurred while I was eating homemade breakfast tacos. Although I like the breakfast tacos at Ocean Park Cafe and Literati Cafe (establishments previously mentioned on this blog), those tacos contain whole eggs, bacon, cheese, and crema--not everyday breakfast fare.

I gathered the following ingredients: 2 corn tortillas, 1 tomato, 8 egg whites, 2 tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt, salt, and hot sauce. I toasted two corn tortillas on the gas range, divided 8 scrambled egg whites between the two tortillas, placed half a chopped tomato in each taco, smeared 1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt on each tortilla, then sprinked salt on top along with squirting some hot sauce. These tacos took five minutes to make and made for a satisfying breakfast.

1 comment:

doublecheeseburger said...

i always add in some beans when i make breakfast tacos as well...and definitely don't skimp on the hot sauce