Friday, May 16, 2008

SF Farmer's Market in today's NYT

Like many of the the travel articles in the New York Times, the enthusiasm in today's piece on the San Francisco farmer's market is a bit much, almost forced, with phrases like "some of the nation's most spectacular farmland" and "the markets come into their full glory". However, I understand the writer's frothing at the mouth. Although this topic has been covered before in this blog, I return again, reminded by the article. The SF farmer's market is probably the best farmer's market I've been to. There are so many stalls it's overwhelming, and the plethora of free samples means you can have a meal just by going from stall to stall. You can buy fair-trade coffee or oysters, organic produce or tamales. The setting, right on San Francisco Bay, is lovely. Finally, as in the article, the people-watching is also an attraction. One of the last times I was there my companion whispered to me, "Some of these people are a little extremist." I'll leave you to decide what that means, but the Bay Area has lots of interesting characters.

No comments: