Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cooking Kale for the First Time

Today, I made kale for the first time. I had eaten kale in minor amounts before, but the idea of cooking it had always intimidated me; it was too healthy, too green, too much of a vegetable that vegetable-lovers adored. Today, I took the plunge and bought a head. I tried boiling some with my ramen, which worked pretty well. But I found a better use for it tonight with dinner. I started by sauteeing one clove of chopped garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil. Next, I added the roughly chopped kale. After a few minutes, I put about half a cup of water in and some salt. I let this mixture cook for a short while, then tasted it--too bland. In went some shredded prosciutto, a little hot sauce, and some red pepper flakes. After a bit of cooking, the kale was pretty tasty, but too salty. I added some white kidney beans, and little bit of cider vinegar, then turned the heat on again. This turned out to be the perfect combination, and I'm happy to report that I will be cooking kale again. Soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your food sucks.

Anonymous said...

sounds more like gourmet gazooks.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gourmet Gazette,

Your food is always too salty. You can't mask poor cooking just with more salt.

My advice: open a cook book and maybe you'll learn something. Experimenting with food can get you killed.

Anonymous said...

If you realize you have added to much salt, don't worry. Just add black pepper to counter the flavor. The Incas used to have a competition based on returning very salty foods back to their original bland flavor, using standard black pepper.