Friday, August 05, 2005

The library discovery

Late one afternoon this week, I sought shelter for the heat in the Jefferson Market Branch of the New York Public Library. I also was looking for something entertaining to read. Browsing the new books revealed nothing of interest. Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten was checked out, and the history section was full of books as wide as my cat. I considered the options in the cooking section, which seemed to consist of Rocco Dispirito's "Flavor", a large section of diet and vegetarian cookbooks, and classics by Julia Child. While cookbooks certainly have their uses, my hope was to find a book of food essays. On a lower shelf lay a plastic covered book. I reached for it and found what I had come for.

"Beard on Food" is a compilation of some of James Beard's food essays. Beard uses clear, powerful language to declare his love for food. He praises cheese and lobster, charcuterie and picnics. While Beard is revered as an American gastronomic expert, he is no snob (except for perhaps, his scathing indictment of garlic salt.) He devotes essays to items such as hamburger and pancakes. While this book was published in 1975, it has a modern feel, with an essay written about ways to reduce calories, exploration of international foods such as mezze and carnitas, and an emphasis on fresh ingredients. Beard's collection is one of the better discoveries that I've made at the library, and I hope that you will discover it, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you discovered a good book on cheese? Manchego is my new favorite.

Anonymous said...

Your food makes me gassy.

Love, Titus Bulsac

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

Dear Number One Fan,

Will investigate a good book on cheese in a future posting. Glad to hear that you like Manchego.

Christine

Christine Thien-An Nguyen said...

Dear anonymous,

I apologize if my food causes you to be ill. I suggest eating troublesome items in moderation, and using over-the-counter remedies if needed. Perhaps if your problems persist, you may consider a visit to the doctor.

Christine